Do you have a musty smell in your basement? You could have a mold problem.
Even if you have never had a flooded basement, you could be harvesting mold. Mold grows in any damp area. It could be the result of an improperly balanced HVAC system, a malfunctioning humidistat, a compromised vapor barrier, and even cracks in your exterior walls.
At the first sign of mold or musty odors, you must act quickly. Contact the professionals at MGM Restoration, a licensed mold remediation company. If left untreated, the problem could become bigger and start causing serious health problems such as allergic reactions, hay fever-type symptoms and irritations to the eyes, skin, nose, throat and lungs, to your family members. MGM Restoration will remediate the mold, treat the area for mold prevention, and fix the problem area so the mold won't come back.
Moisture and mold prevention and control tips:
- Fix leaky pipes and clean up water immediately. If wet or damp materials or areas are dried within 24-48 hours you can prevent a mold outbreak
- Maintain gutters and keep them free of debris
- Seal the cracks between driveway and house, and be sure the slope is away from the structure
- Clean air conditioning drip pans regularly and ensure the drain lines are clear and flowing properly
- Set your indoor humidity to low. If possible, set it below 60 percent (ideally between 30 and 50 percent) relative humidity. You can purchase a small inexpensive humidity meter at your local hardware store
- If you see condensation or moisture collecting on windows, walls or pipes dry the wet surface immediately and reduce the amount of humidity in your room or home
- Run a dehumidifier in your basement
Do you need a mold test?
MGM Restoration can determine if your home needs a mold test. In most cases, if visible mold growth is present, sampling is unnecessary. Surface sampling may be useful to determine if an area has been adequately cleaned or remediated. Call MGM Restoration at the first sign of mold or if you smell a musty odor. The faster you treat the problem, the healthier your home, and family will be.