Mold in your home is caused by spores, too small for the eye to see, that float in from the outside air and then land on wet surfaces. If your house has high humidity, condensation, or a water leak, such as in a pipe behind the walls, you are more likely to get mold. If the mold lands on a wall that is nonporous, then you can wipe it away with a wet cloth. But you will have real problems if you get mold in your drywall or cavities behind the walls.
How to prevent mold from growing in your house
Unfortunately, you can’t prevent spores from getting into your house. But you can help to avoid mold growth by making sure that your home is as dry and well ventilated as possible. You should dry wet areas as soon as you can. You should use mold-resistant products as much as possible. You should monitor the humidity in your house, which a modern digital thermostat should allow you to do. If you have any leaky pipes, you should get them fixed.
Cleaning mold from your house
If you have mold, which is indicated by bulging, discolored walls, as well as a foul smell and, in some cases, allergic reactions, a number of chemicals exist that will kill mold on surfaces that are easily accessible, including bleach, borax, vinegar, and ammonia. You have to be very careful with some of these chemicals because they can be toxic, especially in enclosed spaces.
If mold has gotten into porous surfaces such as drywall, in the wall cavities, or certain hard to access parts of the attic, you may have to call in professionals. If you're looking for a professional property restoration company, contact MGM Restoration today!