A house fire is terrifying because the flames can cause serious bodily harm, resulting in serious injury and even death. As relieved as homeowners are after the fire has been put out, unfortunately, the flames alone are not the only potential source of serious health issues. Fires leave behind soot, smoke, corrosive byproducts and possibly even mold; all of which can negatively affect your health. It is extremely important that you know the risks caused by the byproducts of a fire. Following these tips for post-disaster home restorations will help keep you and your family safe following the aftermath of a fire.
The first and one of the most important things to remember following a fire is that the structure of your home may be compromised. There may be several hidden hazards that you aren’t aware of, so always have a professional inspection before you enter the property and only go in when it has been deemed safe to do so.
Wear Protective Gear
Before entering your home following a fire, it is important to put on protective equipment, including an approved respirator. Smoke inhalation is extremely dangerous because of the chemicals it contains, including toxins such as carbon monoxide and hydrogen cyanide. Hydrogen cyanide itself is more than 30 times more toxic than carbon monoxide and inhaling a combination of both toxins can be fatal. Protective gear will also protect your skin, eyes, and lungs from soot and mold.
Make A Plan
Before starting any of the restoration work it is essential that you have a post-disaster plan, which should include the supplies and methods necessary to complete the work and where to dispose of the materials from the clean-up. The first call you should make is to your insurance company because most insurance companies require claims be filed immediately after a disaster. After calling your insurance company, contact a company that specializes in home restorations following a disaster. Not only will most restoration companies work with your insurance company, but it is the safest way to complete the clean-up. A restoration company will have the materials and equipment necessary to safely and effectively clean-up the water, smoke, soot, and mold.
If a fire breaks out in your home, first and foremost make sure everyone is safely evacuated and do not return to your home until it has been completely restored and deemed to be safe.
If you've recently suffered from storm damage, contact the experts at MGM Restoration today for all your property restoration needs.